Yesterday was my first time to see the Santo Domingo Church along Quezon Avenue in Quezon City. It’s a huge church that has a bas-relief of Santo Domingo as well as a bas-relief of the Virgin of La Naval on the facade of the church. Santo Domingo (Saint Dominic), according to tradition, received the rosary from the Virgin Mary.
The complete title of the Santo Domingo Church is National Shrine of Our Lady of the Holy Rosary of La Naval de Manila. On the main entrance of the church, you would see the bas-relief of Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary of La Naval de Manila. It is said that the victories against the Dutch invaders in 1646 were attributed to the intercession of the Virgin Mary.
I also saw the banner announcing the different activities for the Santo Domingo Parish Fiesta 2012 for Barangay Tatalon and Barangay Santo Domingo. This year’s theme for the celebration is “One Faith, One Community, One Parish”.
Here are the activities for the weeklong celebration:
- August 1 (Wednesday) – Binyagang Bayan for Infants (8AM) and Adult Baptism (2PM)
- August 2 (Thursday) – Kumpilang Bayan (2PM)
- August 3 (Friday) – Kantahan (Amateur Singing Contest) at 7PM
- August 4 (Saturday) – Fun Run at the Parish (5AM), Palarong Pambata (9PM) and Parish Night (7PM) including activities like dinner, raffle, singing, dancing and partying
- August 5 (Sunday Fiesta Day) – Misa ng Bayan (4PM) and Procession in Honor of Saint Dominic (5PM)
- August 7 (Tuesday) – Kasalang Bayan (2PM)
To the devotees of Santo Domingo and to the parishioners of Santo Domingo Church, Happy Fiesta!