Monday, September 3, 2018

Escolta Street, Manila at Dawn

The Philippine Heritage Map volunteers had a Photowalk at Escolta Street, Manila. It's a whole day photography workshop and photowalk by Paul Quiambao held at one of the oldest buildings in the area. A week before that, I also went to Escolta Street (1st time) to have an ocular inspection of the place. I was playing DotA 2 at dawn when all of a sudden, out of nowhere, I decided to have an early morning at Escolta. The decision was so haste that I forget to charge my Canon M10 camera. Good thing I bought my Xiaomi Redmi 5 Plus smartphone with me.

IMG_8455

I left our place in Pinagbuhatan, Pasig City around 4:30 am and by around 5:15 am I'm already at Escolta Street, Manila. I've been to Sta Cruz Church numerous times as well as Ongpin Street in Binondo. I just didn't realized that the street opposite the side of Sta Cruz Church is Escolta Street. It has 2, old high rise building on both side flanking the street as if serving as gateway. These two buildings were probably the highest in the Philippines until such a time after the war.

Escolta Street is not that long -- just 4-5 blocks I believe. I saw this huge tarpaulin on the left side of the street and it list down all the heritage buildings in Escolta. The most notable ones I noticed are the Chinese restaurant, the Capitol Cinema (remnants, to be torn down) and this futuristic building with semi-circle side. Opposite that, there's a parking lot with a huge tarpaulin announcing the rebuilding of the old Savory restaurant. Then I realized I'm already at the Chinese arch and the Jones Bridge, where Escolta Street ends. This area is familiar to me since I've been to Chinatown a couple of times and from here, I can always take a look at the Post Office Building on the opposite banks of the Pasig River.

I was somehow disappointed at how Escolta Street look like. I can't believe that this street is the Ayala Avenue of the 1900s. I wish the government and the occupants of these building as well as the City of Manila did something to preserve its heritage. Not all is lost though -- there are still buildings in Escolta and nearby area that still needs preservation. I just hope the will power of Mayor Erap Estrada is there. Also, I hope that the tourism office of Manila sees the revival of Escolta Street and nearby area as a way of increasing tourism and commerce in the area.

Have you already visited Escolta Street, Manila?

IMG_8456IMG_8457IMG_8458IMG_8459IMG_8460IMG_8461IMG_8462IMG_8463IMG_8464IMG_8465IMG_8466IMG_8467IMG_8468IMG_8470IMG_8471IMG_8472IMG_8473IMG_8474IMG_8476IMG_8477IMG_8478IMG_8479IMG_8481IMG_8483IMG_8485IMG_8486

No comments:

Post a Comment