Thursday, January 26, 2012

Town of Baliwag 1733

Baliwag is a first-class municipality in the province of Bulacan. It’s well-known for the buntal hat, the Baliwag Lechon, the Baliwag Transit, SM Baliwag and the birthplace of hero Mariano Ponce.

Baliwag is the Tagalog spelling. Its English spelling is Baliuag. It was founded in 1733 and was known as the venue for the first municipal election done in viva voce (public acclamation or raising of the hands).

Baliwag is also my boyhood town. I was a transferee pupil in elementary and spent my grade 5-6 in this town. I also studied high school here. I live here all throughout my college years as well. I know this town very well and I certainly love this town.

I was at Baliwag yesterday when I attended a wake. I took some pictures of the famous Glorietta (Rotonda) in the town proper in front of the Saint Augustine Parish church. Unfortunately, our parish church is close during weekends. I hope to have a break from work and take some pictures of my boyhood town with my DSLR.

It always feels good to be home.

1-IMG_1867

Rizal’s Monument in front of the Saint Augustine church

 2-IMG_1868 3-IMG_1869

The newly-installed fountain at the heart of Glorietta.

 4-IMG_1870 5-IMG_1872 6-IMG_1873 7-IMG_1875

Our version of “Big Ben”.

 8-IMG_1877

The first fast-food chain in town.

 9-IMG_1878

No comments:

Post a Comment