Sunday, November 11, 2012

My Computer And Windows 8

We’re receiving a lot of calls lately at the office from customers who purchased Windows 8 and are having problems with the drivers mostly with the Wireless LAN driver. I’m beginning to think of upgrading to Windows 8 as well to be updated with the latest operating system (OS) to better assist our customers.

windows 8 logo

I went to the Microsoft Philippines website and checked the price of the Windows 8 Pro. It’s being offered at $69.99 which is equivalent to P2,875.19 (based on the BSP website and a conversion rate of 1US$=P41.080000). It’s not that bad considering that I purchased my Windows XP before at roughly P4,000.00.

So I downloaded and run the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant and it listed down some of the programs that are not compatible with Windows 8. These are minor programs so I can live with that. My only concern is that my favorite games like Ragnarok Online and DotA (based on the War Craft III game) is not yet compatible with Windows 8. Other than these two games, it seems that almost all the programs on my PC is compatible with Windows 8.

Windows 8 System Requirements

My computer meets the minimum system requirements of Windows 8 but to perform well with Windows 8, you have to double your computer’s capacity like 4 to 8 GB of RAM.

I was surprised to find out that Windows Live Essentials and Microsoft Security Essentials are both listed as not compatible. These are program that were created by Microsoft, the same company that created Windows 8. I also went to the support site of my laptop Asus K40IJ series to check if there are drivers for Windows 8. Since this laptop was purchased almost 2 years ago, I wasn’t able to find drivers for Windows 8. I’m pretty sure that I’ll have problems with the sound, wireless connection, video or the touchpad, just like our customers, if I upgrade to Windows 8.

incompatible products 2

I find iTunes to be the best in playing MP3 and Windows Live Writer is part of Windows Live Essentials. I also need to change my anti-virus program since the Microsoft AV is not compatible with Windows 8

Please bear in mind also that Windows 8 is designed to work best with a tablet PC that supports touchscreen technology. This OS is Microsoft’s way of battling the Apple iPad and other tablets that runs Android OS. I’m a Windows user so I’m sure I’ll enjoy this new operating system. However, I suggest to those who purchased their computers two years ago, to keep it that way. To those who purchase their computer this year, I’m pretty sure it can handle Windows 8 and their computer manufacturer would probably release Windows 8 drivers soon. Those who are purchasing a new computer this year, try a touchscreen tablet for a change. I guess all PCs would eventually be upgraded to this technology.

Are you planning to upgrade to Windows 8?

No comments:

Post a Comment