Thursday, November 29, 2012

Happy 149th Birthday Gat Andres Bonifacio!

For the longest time, I thought November 30 is the death anniversary of Gat Andres Bonifacio. I was so wrong all this time!

bonifacio3

I saw a few minutes ago in Unang Hirit that they’re greeting Gat Andres Bonifacio on his 149th Birthday. So I searched Andres Bonifacio on Wikipedia and found out that it is indeed his birthday today (and not his death anniversary). For the record, 10 May 1897 is the day Andres Bonifacio died.

I am so guilty of this misinformation. I thought both Rizal Day and Bonifacio Day are celebration of their martyrdom (death). I have this impression that the Philippines give more emphasis on celebrating death anniversaries (Rizal Day, National Heroes Day) and defeats (Araw ng Kagitingan a.k.a. Fall of Bataan). It’s good to know that we have a national, legal holiday that celebrates the birth of a national hero.

My apologies Gat Andres Bonifacio. Happy 149th Birthday to you and thank you for this Legal Holiday!

To my foreign readers, Andres Bonifacio is the 2nd most venerated national hero of the Philippines, next to Jose Rizal.

Technorati Tags: ,

No comments:

Post a Comment