Friday, March 1, 2013

Great Time With “Jack the Giant Slayer”

I had a great time last night watching “Jack the Giant Slayer” at Cinema 1, Newport Cinema, Resorts World Manila. The event was organized by Nuffnang Philippines and PLDT myDSL.

Jack the Giant Slayer

I definitely had a great time watching “Jack the Giant Slayer” at Newport Cinema 1, Resorts World, Manila.

“Jack the Giant Slayer” is the continuation of the trend in giving new twists to classic fairy tales that started with “(Little) Red Riding Hood”. “Jack the Giant Slayer” is of course inspired by “Jack and the Beanstalk”. All the elements of the fairy tale are there but with added plot similar to the Battle of Helm’s Deep (“Lord of the Rings”).

The scenes are somehow divided into 3 – the prologue, which tells the story on how the magic beans were created; the rescue of the princes and the battle.

What I like about the story is the medieval setting of the movie, which made me feel like I’m watching a classic knighthood tale. I also love Nicholas Hoult (Jack) because he played the role of a farm boy quite well and yes, he’s cute.

Nicholas_Hoult_2009

Nicholas Hoult who played Jack in “Jack the Giant Slayer” also starred in the films “Warm Bodies” and “X-Men: First Class”.

I also love the animation of the beanstalk – how it grew and reached the sky. I also love the CGI of “the sky” where the giants live. It also reignites my fear of heights.

The only thing that I don’t like about the movie is the inconsistency with the giants’ height in reference to human size. You’ll probably notice it as well when you watch it. There are also scenes that might disturb kids since the giants are human-eating species. Other than these observations, the movie is great.

“Jack the Giant Slayer” is definitely a must-see movie. It gave “darker tone” to the fairy tale. The ending of the movie somehow gives the impression that the story of Jack is real.

No comments:

Post a Comment