Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Church of Binangonan

Last December was my first time to visit the town of Binangonan. Although Pasig City is near the province of Rizal (particularly in the towns of Taytay, Angono and Binangonan) and that I’ve been living in Pasig City since 2001, I only decided to take a pilgrimage to the town’s historical church last December.

IMG_0306

The jewel of Binangonan, Rizal – the St. Ursula Parish Church.

I was able to see the Municipal Hall of Binangonan, the Casimiro A. Ynares Sr Memorial Gymnasium and the Church of Binangonan (also known as Sta. Ursula Parish Church). This church is unique because it is dedicated to a not-so-famous saint. In fact, I have to read from Wikipedia who St. Ursula was.

I learned that St. Ursula was a British Christian Saint whose feast is October 21. According to legend, she was a princess who went on sail along with 11,000 virgin handmaids only to suffer death at the hands of the Huns (nomadic people) at Cologne (in modern day Germany) in the year 383.

I searched the Internet on why St. Ursula was chosen as the Patron Saint of Binangonan but I failed to get an answer. I hope someone with historical knowledge would give light on this.

Binangonan was once part of Morong. In 1621 it became an independent Parish and was dedicated to St. Ursula. The present church and convent was built between the years 1792-1800.

IMG_0290

The Casimiro A. Ynares Sr Memorial Gymnasium.

IMG_0291

The Municipal Hall of Binangonan, Rizal.

IMG_0294

The bell tower of the Church of Binangonan a.k.a. St. Ursula Parish Church.

IMG_0299

The main altar of St. Ursula Parish Church in Binangonan, Rizal.

IMG_0303

I admire the ceiling of the church which is mostly made of wood.

No comments:

Post a Comment