One of the churches we visited during the MassKara 2013 Festival was the San Diego Pro-Cathedral in Silay City. From Bacolod City, Silay City is about 45 minutes by bus and it’s just along the National Road.
The façade of the church has a Rose Window and pillars with Corinthian columns. The floors are Victorian (checkered) and there is a dome. Underneath the dome are the pictures of the 4 Evangelists and chandeliers. The San Diego Pro-Cathedral also has a wooden, elevated pulpit and stained glass. Like most Roman Catholic churches, the floor plan is crucifix in design.
The marker on the church states its history:
“The church of San Diego de Alcala built in 1925 through the generosity of Don Jose Ledesma, a Knight of St. Gregory the Great, and the Silaynons. Architectural design done by Italian architect Lucio Bernasconi.
Works on repair and renovation initiated over the years under various parish priests with the major one starting in 2002 and completed in 2005 in time for the church’s 80th anniversary with the theme “At 80, ‘to God be the glory’ (Rom. II,36)”
Renovated church blessed by the Most Rev. Vicente M. Navarra, D.D., Bishop of Bacolod on November 13, 2005, feast of San Diego de Alcala.
Jose Luis G. Ledesma
Rev. Fr. Felix P. Pasquin
The façade of the San Diego Pro-Cathedral in Silay City.
The interior of the San Diego Pro-Cathedral showing the Victorian flooring.
The stained glass of the San Diego Pro-Cathedral showing the Holy Eucharist and John the Baptist.
Another version of The Pieta.
The belfry of the San Diego Pro-Cathedral.