Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Canon A495 vs. Nikon Coolpix S205

I stumbled upon these old pictures of my first digicam, the Canon A495, and my brother’s Nikon Coolpix S205. These pictures were taken in February 2011 at The Linden Suites when my aunt from the United States went for a vacation here in the Philippines.

canon-vs-nikon-image

This is my way of comparing the two popular brands when it comes to quality of pictures. I set both digital cameras to their default settings and took some pictures. Back then, I was convinced that I purchased the better one.

This test is one of the several comparisons I did with the Canon and Nikon brand which led me to purchase a Canon DSLR. At the time that I took these pictures, I felt that the Canon A495 captured a more realistic color of the place. Not to mention that my brother’s Nikon Coolpix S205 was broken a few months after my aunt gave it to him (from normal wear and tear).

Yup, the Nikon digicam was from the US. They tried to have it repaired at the Nikon service center (at Megamall I believe) and they were advised that there are no parts available here in the country. They need to import parts abroad and the cost of the repair is not economical. They ended up buying a new digital camera.

Moral of the story is that both Canon and Nikon cameras are great brands. The other factors that would come along in considering which one to purchase is the availability of service centers, concept stores, the price of the units, ease of use (interface), guides, after sales support, among others. This is the same principle in buying a DSLR.

For someone that is new to DSLR, the first thing that comes into one’s mind is the eternal debate: should I go for Canon or Nikon? I hope this comparison that I did would add to your decision.

DSCN0422DSCN0424DSCN0425

Shots using the Nikon Coolpix S205.

IMG_2205IMG_2207IMG_2208

Shots taken using the Canon A495.

No comments:

Post a Comment