Tuesday, July 31, 2012

My Latest Gadget: Yongnuo Speedlite YN460-II

So I got a big pay last payroll and I was thinking on what to buy next for my camera. My choices at that time are the Canon EF50 mm f/1.8 II lens (for Bokeh effect in portraits) or a Speedlite (external flash).

IMG_6136

I checked the prices of the Canon accessories and the EF50 mm f/1.8 II lens is at P4,998 (card) and the sales clerk offered it at P4,500 cash. The Canon Speedlite 430EX II is the cheapest external flash from Canon that can be tilted. It was priced at P16,430. I no longer asked for the cash price because I don’t have that amount of money.

I tried to review the pictures that I’ve taken for the past 7 months (I bought my DSLR in December 2011) and I am leaning towards events, landscape and architecture. The last event that I attended was the workshop conducted by David Guison and I had difficulties taking his picture using ambient light (I’m no longer using the internal flash of my camera). So I thought of buying an external flash for a clearer picture by bouncing of the light on the ceiling.

My photography friend Mark is currently using a Yongnuo Speedlite YN460-II and he seems to be acquainted with it that he can adjust the flash power for better results. The Canon Speedlite 430EX II has ETTL technology (auto-adjust flash power) but is very expensive while the Yongnuo Speedlite YN460-II is affordable but it doesn’t have ETTL meaning that adjusting the power level is manual (trial and error). I would love to buy the Canon Speedlite but I ended up buying the Yongnuo Speedlite YN460-II.

I’ve taken some shots using it and I’m pretty satisfied with the results even though I have to take about 4-5 shots using different angles of inclination and different power levels to come up with a nice picture. Given the price of the product, it’s worth it. Here are some of the pictures I’ve taken using my Canon EOS 1100D with the Yongnuo Speedlite YN460-II.

BTW, I purchased this product from Pixel Pro Inc in SM Cyberzone Megamall. It’s the nearest mall to my place and I usually buy my gadgets in that mall even though it’s more expensive than in Hidalgo. I feel secure in this mall.

I still have tons of things to learn about photography, gadgets, camera accessories, etc. I hope by the time I get my 13th month pay, I already knew my camera functions and capabilities by heart so that I could buy my 1st lens. I probably buy a zoom lens. What do you think should be my first lens?

IMG_6121

IMG_6139

No comments:

Post a Comment