Sunday, August 5, 2012

The 3rd Olongapo No-Gi Grappling Competition

I was at Subic Bay Freeport during the weekends. I have reserved a hotel room a few weeks ago but I didn’t realize that it would be a very wet experience. I booked the hotel using Agoda and as much as I wanted to cancel the hotel accommodation because of the rains, it was already charged to my credit card and cancelling it would still incur some fees. So I just made the most out of my weekend escapade.

IMG_6731

I use to go to Olongapo a few years ago but ever since I worked in the call center industry, my visit to this city had become lesser. My first love lives in Olongapo and he’s the sole reason why I visit this place. Olongapo and Subic Bay Freeport always brings back good memories of my friendship with my first love. I’ll probably talk about this some other time. Let’s just focus on the 3rd Olongapo No-Gi Grappling Competition.

I was surprised to learn that there is an Ayala Mall inside the Subic Bay Freeport just a few meters away from the newly-opened SM Olongapo. The mall’s name is Harbor Point and it’s HUGE when it comes to floor area. It’s only 3 stories tall but it’s wide and there are a lot of stalls that aren’t opened yet. I stumbled upon the 3rd Olongapo No-Gi Grappling Competition and I got curious on what it is.

I later found out that Grappling is a style in martial arts that comprises techniques that relies on grabbing and controlling your opponent using body leverage to achieve supremacy. It’s very similar to Judo, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, and the Olympic Wrestling. It’s the opposite of “striking” martial arts like Muay Thai, Karate, Taekwondo or Kickboxing. Grapping seems to be less dangerous than the “striking” martial arts. Thanks to Rio Grappling Club for clearing this out for me.

I don’t know why the straight guys are into this sport but for a gay guy like me, it looks very intimate and sexy and I swear my mind is thinking something else when I saw these guys on the competition mat.

How about you, what do you see?

IMG_6732IMG_6734IMG_6735IMG_6737IMG_6738IMG_6739IMG_6740IMG_6741

No comments:

Post a Comment